Facts and Figures
The Market was established on its current site in September 1974. Here are some interesting facts and figures about the market:
- The Market occupies 63 hectares, 60% of which is developed.
- There are three produce sales halls, totalling 65 000m2.
- There are 55 cold rooms that can accommodate 4 561 pallets.
- There are 50 banana ripening rooms that can accommodate 1 590 pallets per cycle.
- The specialist watermelon trading area is 3 500m2.
- Over 20 000 buyers of which about 9800 are regulars buy produce at the Joburg Market.
- The Marketís open roads records on average through flow of over 10 000 vehicles and pedestrians per day.
- The Marketís on-site laboratory was established at a cost of R4 million.
- The Joburg Market is twice the size of the second ranked market in SA and bigger than 16 other fresh produce market combined.
- About 1,000 0000 tons of fruit and vegetable is sold at the Joburg Market per year.
- Turnover for the last financial year exceeded R4.1-billion per annum.
- Average value of sales per month exceeds R466 million .
- On average, the Joburg Market sees about 450 000 sales transactions conducted per month.
- Currently, the Joburg Market sees less than 1% wastage on fresh produce.
- The Joburg Market currently employs 280 people.